Name: George Visan
Phone: 0721 206 468
Developing a career in the field of International Relations with an emphasis on research and analysis of foreign policy and international security. I would like to work as a professional consultant in this field in a think tank or in a international organization. Alternatively I am considering developing a career as a professional consultant in business (with an emphasis on security issues) or politics.
• October 2009-December 2009 – Assistant to the Political Analyst of the Limited Election Observation Mission of the OSCE for the Romanian Presidential Elections.
• September 2008-February 2009, junior political analyst NewsIn; Responsibilities: gathering, classifying and basic analysis of media content regarding politics and economics as reflected by Romanian media outlets;
• May 2007-September 2008, junior political analyst at Global Video Media. Responsibilities: gathering, classifying and basic analysis of media content regarding politics and economics as reflected by Romanian media outlets;
• Since September 2006-2008 PR/Marketing Coordinator for Civitas’99 NGO – http://www.civitas.99.ro. Responsibilities: developing a fund raising strategy for the organization; identifying potential sponsors and donors; help develop projects; recruiting possible members; promote the image of organization; Achievements: developing the fund raising strategy and coordinating projects;
• February 2005 – May 2005 intern at United Nations House. Responsibilities: resuming and analyzing news regarding the activity of the UN as reflected by the Romanian media; translations; helping organize events; researching and writing presentations concerning UN activity around the world. Achievements: help organize events concerning the Romanian justice system and Romania’s involvement in UN peacekeeping operations;
• May 2004-September 2004 – Press Monitoring Operator at Global Media. Responsibilities. Responsibilities: resuming and introducing news newspapers and television into a database for further analysis;
• June 2009 – M. A. in International Relations at the Political Science Department, University of Bucharest.
• June 2006 – Graduated from the University of Bucharest with a B.A. Political Science – International Relations from the English section of the Political Science Department, University of Bucharest.
• September 2009: “Cum trebuie America să acţioneze într-o lume post americană?” (How should America Act in a Post American World), book review Fareed Zakaria, The Post-American World New York, London: W.W. Norton and Company, 2008, 292 pp, in Sfera Politicii, No. 138, August 2009 pp. 119-123;
• January 2009: “Problema puterii americane la începutul secolului 21” (The Problem of American Power at the beginning of the Twenty-First Century), book review – Joseph Joffe, Uberpower: The Imperial Temptation of America New York: W.W. Norton, 2006 in Sfera Politicii, No. 131-132, January February 2009, pp. 123-127;
• September 2008: Romania’s Black Sea Offensive, Center for European Policy Analysis, http://www.cepa.org/ced/view.aspx?record_id=80;
• Martie 2008: Kosovo’s Independence and US-Romanian Relations, Center for European Policy Analysis, http://www.cepa.org/ced/view.aspx?record_id=50;
• September 2006: – “Criza Libaneza” (Lebanese Crisis) http://www.carpenoctem.ro/nr%204/liban.htm;
• June 2006 – “Batalia de la Trafalgar” (Battle of Trafalgar) – in http://www.carpenoctem.ro/nr%203/trafalgar.html;
• October 2006: – “De ce sa nu ne retragem din Iraq” (Why We Shouldn’t Retreat From Iraq), http://www.carpenoctem.ro ;
• January 2005 – “Workers Against the Party: A comparative Analysis of Workers’ Protests in Gdansk 1981 and Brasov 1987”- presented during the Romanian Communism – Our Common Heritage” Conference;
• March 2005 – “NATO’s Strategic Concepts: From Massive Retaliation to Flexible Response”, http://www.civitas99.ro/george_0903.pdf;
• May 2005 – “Considerations upon the Armenian Genocide 1915-1917”, http://www.civitas99.ro/george_120505.pdf;
To be published:
• “The State of the Trans-Atlantic Link: The European Union and the United States at the Beginning of the XXI Century” in The European Union’s External Action: Current Challenges, Future Opportunities, lect. univ. dr. Bogdana Petrică; si lect. univ. dr. Luciana Ghica, Colecţia “Timp prezent”, Editura Universitatii din Bucuresti.
• Contributor to an Encyclopedia of European Political Systems edited by lect. univ. dr. Luciana Ghica and lect. univ. dr. Florin Feşnic. I have written about German Estonian and Latvian constitutional system as well as the Armenian political party system.
• Derek Chollet and James Goldgeiger, America between the Wars: From 11/9 to 9/11. The Missunderstood Years between the Fall of the Berlin Wall and the Start of the War on Terror, New York: PublicAffairs, 2008, – book review to be published in Revista Institutului Diplomatic Român (The Review of the Romanian Diplomatic Institute).
• December 2008 – organizer in charge of logistics for Forum Civitas Conference, Quo Vadis Romanian Constitutional Reform.
• March-February 2007 co-initiator of Civitas Politics Blog https://civitaspoliticsblog.wordpress.com/. For a list of published articles on the blog follow this link: https://civitaspoliticsblog.wordpress.com/category/posts-by-author/george-visan/ ;
• June-October 2005 – co-organizer with AEGEE Bucharest of Euro – Islam conference;
• May 2005 – organizer of Civitas’99 Model United Nations – tasked with research and preparing documentation for the project;
• January 2005 – participant and co-organizer of “Romanian Communist – Our Common Heritage” Conference (“Comunismul Romanesc. Mostenirea noastra Comuna”).
• July-August 2003 – internship at the Ministry of Foreign Affair;
• April 2003 – training in Public Relation and Fund Raising organized by ONGlink;
• 2002-2004 voluntary translator for IRIR (Romanian Institute for Recent History); Responsibilities: Translating US Foreign Policy documents regarding the Cold War;
• September 30-October 7, 2004 – participant to the “Islam and Europe: Eye Contact” Conference organized by AEGEE Ankara in Ankara, Turkey;
• November 2002 – Member of Civitas ’99 – Organization of Students and Professionals in Political Science: http://www.civitas99.ro ;